Friday, October 16, 2015

Good morning to you!
Above is a picture of my son Kai.  The only reason I am posting it is that my wife Denisa wanted me to give him a haircut, and I picked a guard for the clippers that was too short.  I had to improvise and gave him a Mohawk.  Denisa wasn’t too thrilled but I think he looks pretty fly.
Here is a thought for you going into the weekend-
When I was a senior in high school, I was co-captain of the basketball team that won the state championship.  On the back of our practice jerseys, our coach (Coach Euler) printed these words underneath each other: Desire, Dedication, Discipline
These action words have had the biggest impact on my professional life so much I think they are the key to any success that I have ever had.  I think of these words as legs of my success tripod.  Standing on their own, they don’t work very well.  But when they are all together, my success rate grows exponentially.
Desire is the first leg.  Before taking on a challenge, I always ask myself, “Andy, how bad you really want this?”  And if I have doubts about my desire, I question if I want it bad enough.  But if I lose sleep over it, if it is constantly on my mind, if I am consumed by it, I know that the odds of my success are quite high.
Dedication is a trickier leg because dedication is hard.  What is dedication?  I think of dedication as my plan.  I try to see the challenge and then break it down to the smallest obtainable goals that I can do at that moment. 
Discipline is probably the hardest leg.  Discipline is the execution of the plan.  It is hard to stay on course and do the plan every single moment of every single day that I have allotted.  It takes a lot of will and a lot of great habits of doing something the right away over and over to get the necessary discipline. 
Hope that you have great day and weekend!  See you on Monday!
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment