Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Good morning!  There is nothing like cleaning out your email box and phone messages bright and early!
The picture above is of my daughter Casey who wanted to workout with me early Monday morning.  Usually two to three times a week, we will lift and run together.  It has been quite a special time for us and something that I look forward to.  Speaking of Casey, a few months ago we gave a challenge to each other:  She would read one of my books and I would read one of hers.  I gave her the Investment Biker, by hedge fund manager Jim Rogers.  Jim has been quite the influence of my life.  In fact, this book was one of the reasons why I decided to backpack Europe nearly 20 years ago.  Jim loved three things in life – making money, traveling, and motorcycles.  So in his late 30’s, he cashed out of the Quantum Fund with his partner George Soros and took a few years off to ride his motorcycle around the world.  In each country, he would write about his adventures and the business/economic prospects of the country.  After I read the book, I signed up for a study abroad program with my college to the Czech Republic.  It was an exciting time to travel to Central and Eastern Europe.  It had just opened up from communist control and I knew that it would forever change.  So twice a week, I would take classes at the university with our tutor, and the over five days I would hop on a train and enjoy a new adventure.  I remember drinking a coffee at a café in Vienna with local artists, watching the street vendors on the Charles Bridge in Prague, and playing chess with internationals in Geneva.  All the while, talking and hanging out with the local merchants in the cities I would visit.  What fun and I am thrilled that Casey enjoyed the book.  I am looking forward to her sharing her adventures with me. 
The book she picked out for me is Unbroken.  Although I am not yet finished with it, the book has been equally inspiring.  It is about Olympian and World War II bomber pilot Louis Zamperini.  He was shot down over the Pacific, stranded at sea and was taken as a prisoner of war.  So far it has been quite the tale. 
Make it a great day!

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment